Are you making daddies, banana crisps, cakes, tomato sauce, or any other product in your compound, backyard, garage, small or medium sized business premises?
Product certification is here to help you gain access to new markets!
It involves the issuance of a distinctive mark by Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) to demonstrate that a product meets a defined set of requirements such as safety, fitness for use and/or interchangeability characteristics for that product, usually specified in a standard.
The distinctive mark () is found on a product or its packaging and may also appear on a certificate issued by UNBS in accordance to the provisions of the Certification Regulations of 1995.
The UNBS Product Certification Scheme aims at providing third Party guarantee of quality, safety and reliability of products to the consumers.
The presence of the UNBS Quality Mark on a product is an assurance of conformity to relevant standards.
Conformity of products is also ensured by regular surveillance of the manufacturer’s performance by conducting inspections of factories and testing of samplesdrawn both from the market and factory.
Product certification benefits;
- Product certification wins consumer confidence in the certified products resulting into increased market share and consumers’ ability to identify the products that conform to quality standards thus making quick decisions in favour of quality products.
- The certified product is presented with a better image at both national and international markets resulting into: mutual recognition schemes where countries recognize each other’s products thus easing entry into regional and foreign markets; easy acceptance and promotion of new products in the markets; and safeguarding the image and reputation of the manufacturer.
- Protection against unfair competition from inferior products on the market through: easy identification of the products that conform to standards since they carry the Distinctive Mark; government, international bodies and NGOs rely on certified products for their purchases; and government is making it a requirement for local purchases to be certified.
- The Certification Scheme provides technical audit of product quality and process control procedures. This means that the Manufacturer gets technical advisory services and information at little or no cost that would otherwise be obtained at very high cost.
Product certification procedure;
- Register with UNBS, acquire applicable standards, training and mentorship too may be required.
- Apply for certification at cims.unbs.go.ug or our regional offices in Mbarara, Mbale, Gulu, Head office at Bweyogerere industrial park or through industry associations such as USSIA, UMA, UWEAL, TUNADO
- The applicant will need to pay applicable fees for product testing, auditing and submit evidence of payment to UNBS.
- UNBS auditors will carry out certification audits and pick samples for laboratory analysis and testing.
- A product will be issued with a UNBS distinctive mark once it has been found to meet the requirements of a particular standard.
NB: Companies involved in the manufacturing of products covered by compulsory standards must register with UNBS for certification.
For any inquiries call toll-free 0800 133 133.
UNBS is a statutory body responsible for developing and promoting standards, quality products and services to facilitate fair trade, promote local industries and protect consumers.