The Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) has issued an ultimatum of five (5) months, to all maize millers to improve compliance to standards.
This follows routine inspections conducted by the UNBS surveillance team that found many maize millers and distributors operating in unhygienic conditions and without the necessary quality control measures required to ensure quality during the production process which contravenes standards requirements and could result in contamination of the flour and pose a risk to public health.
During this ultimatum period, all maize millers are urged to acquire the relevant Uganda Standards, and necessary training to improve compliance, strictly implement the standards and continuously engage the UNBS offices in different parts of the country to seek technical guidance.
In light of the above, UNBS calls upon all millers of maize flour throughout the country to ensure the following standards requirements;
- Acquire and implement the Uganda Standards; US 28 EAS 39:2002 Code of Practice for hygiene in the food and drink manufacturing industry, US EAS 44:2019 Milled Maize (Corn) products – specification (4th Edition), US EAS 38:2014 – Labelling of pre-packaged foods.
- Ensure that the establishment/company is legally registered with the Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) and has a valid UNBS certification status.
- Ensure good general hygiene of the production premises (Production rooms, stores, toilets) and equipment. The cleaning records should be available as evidence of regular cleaning.
- Ensure medical examination of workers and provision of Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs), toilet facilities, changing rooms and training of workers.
- Have acceptable pest control measures, magnetic traps, evidence of internal and external product testing and evidence of record keeping and maintenance.
- Ensure good storage conditions like storing the raw materials and finished products on pallets.
- Ensure proper packaging and labelling of finished products i.e the labels should have the brand name, date of manufacture, Expiry date/ sell by date, Name of manufacturer, Address of manufacturer, storage instructions, Instructions for use, size and net weight of the products.
- Both the raw materials and finished products should have no foreign matter, moulds and infestation to avoid contamination.
All millers are therefore urged to adhere to above standards requirements in their production processes in order to guarantee the quality and safety of the milled maize flour on the market.
The UNBS Surveillance team will start the enforcement exercise across the country Effective July 1st and all millers found not complying to the above requirements risk closure and prosecution in courts of law.
Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) continues to perform its mandate of developing, promoting and enforcing standards in protection of public health and safety, and the environment against dangerous and sub-standard products.
For more information please contact;
Principal Public Relations Officer,
Uganda National Bureau of Standards,
Bweyogerere Industrial Park,
Plot 2 – 12, Kyaliwajala Road,
P.O Box 6329 Kampala, Uganda